Thursday, February 25, 2010

Caroline's Trip to Asia: Part I

My sister is in Asia right now on a "school trip". I put that in quotations because any "school trip" to Asia is far more than any "school trip" I ever went on. We'll instead refer to this as "study abroad".

The general rule of study abroad is that you have to have a blog. That's how I got into blogging, and that's how every other blogger I know started blogging. They practically include Blogger as a part of your orientation when you go abroad...you have to keep a blog. The problem lies in the fact that Caroline seems to think I'm funnier than she is. This is true...in a way. Caroline is actually hilarious, although unlike me, she doesn't realize that she's hilarious. As such, she asked that I keep a blog for her while she's in Asia.

The problem in this is obvious. I am in New Jersey. I have never been to Asia. I have absolutely no idea what she is up to. Truthfully I have no idea what time it is over there. But nonetheless I promised her that I would keep an excellent blog of her trip to Asia, despite being at least 12 hours in the past.

Luckily, for the first entry Caroline spared me the trouble of coming up with a fake blog entry, as upon her arrival to Tokyo she sent the most hilarious email I've ever been sent. I'm not even going to try and make up an entry for her first day, I'm just going to copy and paste the e-mail, word for word, and use that to introduce you to the crazy that is Caroline.

i made it!

no clue how to use this keyboard so this will be quick but i knew you guys would be worried. ive spent the entire morning trying to find an internet cafe or a phone card. My phone doesnt work here but i made it from the airport with no problems and met up with paul at his office. he had to go back to work so he taught me how to use his apartment...sounds strange, but it was a necessary lesson. everything has a remote, even the toilet...with a button for flushing sound. im a little bit like scarlett johannsen in lost in translation.

flight was fine. we were delayed because the incoming flight tapped the next jetway over with its wingtip when arriving so they wanted to make sure everything was okay.IT IS A LONG FLIGHT SORRY, THIS WENT INTO CAPS AND I CANT CHANGE IT.ANYWAYS, I NOW UNDERSTAND WHY JACKIE PAYS FOR PREMIUM ECONOMY...EVERYONE IS JAMMED IN REGULAR ECONOMY BUT PREMIUM WAS EMPTY. I ASKED IF IT WAS OKAY FOR ME TO MOVE UP AND WAS MET WITH A LOOK OF HORROR. I MIGHT ASK HOW MUCH PREMIUM IS ON THE WAY BACK. YOU KNOW THOSE EYE SHADES AND EARPLUGS BRITISH AIRWAYS GIVES OUT? ANA DIDN:T AND I:VE NEVER WANTED A PACKET MORE IN MY LIFE. I DIDN:T SLEEP AT ALL.BUT I MADE IT!

SORRY, THIS IS THE WEIRDEST E-MAIL I:VE EVER WRITTEN. JUST KNOW THAT I:M FINE AND SAFE AND HAVING A GOOD TIME. I SLEPT A TON LAST NIGHT AND WAS UP AT 7, SO I THINK JET LAG IS OVER! I WENT TO A TEMPLE THIS MORNING AND NOW AM GETTING LUNCH TO SIT IN THE PARK BEFORE SEEING A FEW MORE TEMPLES, THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL.

LOVE, CAROLINE

Look forward to me following Caroline as I try to figure out what she is up to in Tokyo, Vietnam, Thailand and various other Asian locations. This is going to be fun.

2 comments:

  1. japan is really rule centric. its kind of funny. we went to a mcdonalds and one of the people we were with wanted barbecue sauce for the fries. but no chicken nuggets. the girl behind the counter didn't understand why anyone would want that stuff separately. so she kept trying to explain "just sauce. no nuggets". until finally she tried to grab the sauce and leave and the japanese woman freaked out and started screaming.

    also i went to a kfc cause i wanted mac and cheese, they don't sell macaroni and cheese in japanese kfcs, kind of bummed me out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the next entry will be Caroline sleeping through a 7.3 earthquake...sober. Whoops!

    ReplyDelete